For a while I have wanted to make a customizable splatter, and now I have finally done it :-D
Splatter pattern and concrete background from cgtextures.
The splat has been made mostly transparent so you can use whatever colour you want, and the background can be customized.
TO USE (in Gnome)
Right-click on the desktop, set as the background, and pick the colour. (Can be solid, or a gradient)
TO CUSTOMIZE MORE EXTENSIVELY:
-To change background, but keep partial transparency of splatter
1. Open the XCF in GIMP.
2. Delete the existing background and replace it with your own.
3. Go to the layer with the splatter.
4. In the menu: "select/by colour" and select the splatter.
5. Go to the layer with the background and cut the splatter portion out.
6. Go back to the layer with the splatter, delete it, then paste the splatter portion from your custom background instead.
7. Tweak the transparency of the splatter layer and save it as a png image to use as a background.
If you don't want the partial transparency of the splatter, then do the other steps, but just delete the splatter layer, or set it to 0% opacity.
NOTE: I would like to make a script or something like ACYL (the icon theme) to make it easier to use, but do not know how. help would be appreciated.