Source (required if based on other people's work): https://gist.github.com/VictorPascu/1886f97927f759ec45977556dad94274
This extension lets you automatically skip a chapter of your choosing when the video reaches it, as long as it has chapter data associated with it.
You have to provide a chapter number that you want to skip, and there are a few options added for convenience.
Chapters start their numbering from 0, so the chapter that plays when you open a video is 0.
I wrote this because a lot of shows like to put their intro at some point after the beginning of the episode, and I wanted to skip them automatically but couldn't find any solutions for it using VLC.
I'm adding it here just in case anyone also wants something like this and is willing to put up with the problems this implementation has (read below).
There are a few caveats:
- You will get an "extension not responding" notification, which you'll need to move to another screen (so you need at least 2 monitors); this notification disappears when the chapter is found (and will re-appear on the monitor you moved it to later on during future runs), but will otherwise make VLC unresponsive unless you click it;
- To avoid said notification lasting forever, this extension deactivates after doing the skip. Therefore, it's not all that useful for playlists, since you will need to manually re-enable it for every video. If there's enough interest, an option to allow for continuous running may be added in the future;
- You might occasionally find yourself having to kill the VLC process, because the extension eats up CPU.
It's tested on Windows 10 x64; other systems should work as well, but I can't say for sure.
Put the file in the VLC subdir /lua/extensions, by default:
* Windows (all users): %ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions\
* Windows (current user): %APPDATA%\VLC\lua\extensions\
* Linux (all users): /usr/share/vlc/lua/extensions/
* Linux (current user): ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/extensions/
* Mac OS X (all users): /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions/
(create directories if they don't exist)
Restart the VLC or in the VLC "Tools | Plugins and Extensions" item,
select "Reload Extensions"
Go to the "View" menu and select "Chapter Skipper".